old marrtown pictures parkersburg wv

OLD MARRTOWN PICTURES

This website has no connection with the Wood County Board Of Education

This Website is Owned by

Mackey's Antiques & Clock Repair
1249 Gihon Road
Parkersburg WV 26101
 

   304 422-7274

 e mail   rmackey@mackeysclockrepair.com

Website  http://www.mackeysclockrepair.com    

Tygart School Reunion website http://www.tygartschoolreunion.com

Marrtown Reunion website http://www.marrtownreunion.com/

Parkersburg Viscose website http://www.parkersburgviscose.com/

Wood County History Photography & Scenery  http://www.wchps.net

For Early Parkersburg History and Old Pictures

 Over 900 Old Parkersburg & Wood County WV Pictures

MARRTOWN FAMILY & FRIENDS ARE ON FACEBOOK

https://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/home.php?sk=group_347090585762&ap=1

THERE ARE LINKS TO OTHER MARRTOWN PAGES AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

 

OLD STORE AT THE TOP OF MARRTOWN HILL

INSIDE OLD STORE AT THE TOP OF MARRTOWN HILL

THE OLD JULIANA STREET BRIDGE, BUILT IN 1892 CLOSED TO VEHICULAR TRAFFIC IN JUNE 1960

 

WIG BICKEL'S SUDDEN, SAD DEMISE, BROUGHT TEARS OF GRIEF TO MANY EYES, FOR HE HAD WARM FRIENDS FAR AND WIDE, O'ER WEST VIRGINIA'S COUNTRYSIDE. A REAL WOOD COUNTIAN BY BIRTH, TO HIM THE DEAREST SPOT ON EARTH, WHERE HE RESOLVED, DEEP IN HIS SOUL, TO STRIVE TO REACH A LOFTY GOAL. AN ENERGETIC, SELF-MADE MAN, WHO STARTED IN HIS YOUTH TO PLAN TO PLAY THROUGH LIFE A FAIR, SQUARE GAME, AND BE AN HONOR TO HIS NAME! HE BUILT A PICTURESQUE ABODE, BESIDE THE QUIET LUBECK ROAD , WHERE IN ENCLOSURES, GRAZING NEAR, WERE BISON, MOOSE AND ELK AND DEER. WIG BICKEL'S FAME WAS NATIONWIDE, ARABIAN HORSES WERE HIS PRIDE, AND MOUNTED ON A SNOW WHITE STEED, HE WAS MOST PICTURESQUE INDEED! HE THAT HAD FRIENDS AMONG THE GREAT, WAS KIND TO THOSE OF LOW ESTATE, HIS SMILES WERE BRIGHT, HIS .HEART WAS BIG, AND CHILDREN LOVED GOOD "UNCLE WIG

FRIES PARK ON THE WEST SIDE OF FORT BOREMAN HILL WAS A FAVORITE PLACE FOR FAMILIES TO PICNIC ON A WEEKEND. GUSTAVUS FRIES OPERATED THE PARK DURING THE 1930 AND 1940S. CROWDS TURNED OUT ON WEEKEND NIGHTS TO DANCE IN THE DANCE HALL OR TO FEAST ON CRABS AND BEER AS THE MEN ARE DOING IN THE PHOTOGRAPH ABOVE.

AS HAS OFTEN BEEN STATED THE WAR BETWEEN THE STATES QUITE OFTEN PITTED BROTHER AGAINST BROTHER. THE CHOICE OF LOYALTY ALSO SPLIT COUNTIES, RURAL COMMUNITIES AND NEIGHBORHOODS. MANY STRONG FEELINGS OF LOYALTY AND RESENTMENT CONTINUED AFTER THE WAR WAS ENDED. IN SEPTEMBER 1864, ABRAM DEEM, A PEACEFUL AND WELL-LIKED FARMER FROM LUBECK DISTRICT WHO HAD SHOWN SYMPATHY TO THE SOUTHERN CAUSE, WAS MURDERED BY TWO OF HIS NEIGHBORS, DANIEL GROGAN AND THOMAS BOICE. A THIRD PERSON, MORTIMER GIBBONY, WAS ALSO CONVICTED OF THE MURDER; GIBBONY WAS NOT FROM THIS AREA. ALL THE MURDERERS WERE OF THE UNION PERSUASION. FOLLOWING A RATHER SWIFT TRIAL AND SENTENCING, THE WHEELS OF JUSTICE WERE SLOWED AS APPEALS WERE MADE. FINALLY, IN FEBRUARY 1866, GROGAN AND BOICE WERE HUNG WITHIN THE SHADOWS OF THE THEN VACANT, FORT BOREMAN . GIBBONY, WHO HAD ESCAPED THE LOCAL JAIL A FEW MONTHS BEFORE, WAS FINALLY CAPTURED AND IN JUNE 1866, HE CLIMBED THE SAME GALLOWS STEPS THAT HIS TWO ACCOMPLICES HAD CLIMBED BUT A FEW MONTHS BEFORE. IT WAS RECORDED THAT THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE CAME TO PARKERSBURG TO WITNESS THESE TWO GRUESOME EVENTS.

ON THE LEFT IS NEWMAN CALLAGHAN  ABOUT 1920

 

 

RAPP & HEBRANK LAGER BEER BREWERY 1859 440 BREWERY ROAD LATER CALLED MARRTOWN ROAD IN 1896 THERE WAS A NEW BREWERY BUILT AT 648 7TH ST PARKERSBURG WV THEY CHANGED THE NAME TO PARKERSBURG BREWERY 

PARKERSBURG BREWERY LAGER BEER MARRTOWN LAGER BEER

THE NEW PARKERSBURG BREWERY BUILT IN 1896 AT 648 7TH ST PARKERSBURG WV

HENRY C. RUF (LEFT) AND BILL STETRO GET READ TO HAUL BEER IN FRONT OF THE PARKERSBURG BREWERY

HEBRANK-RAPP BREWERY UNDER CONSTRUCTION. THE BREWERY WAS BUILT BY LEWIS HEBRANK, AND HIS COUSIN, MARCUS RAPP, 1859, BEHIND HOUSE AT 440 MARRTOWN ROAD (NEXT TO OLD FOGLESONG'S GAS STATION

RHEA FRIES, AND BROTHER GUS (CARL), IN 1911, STANDING AT THE "HANGING TREE" (ON FORT BOREMAN HILL) THAT MOST PEOPLE SAY NEVER EXISTED

SMALL GROUP ENJOYING FRIES PARK ON AUG 10, 1938. (STANDING/REAR, L/R) GEORGE ??, HARRY HICKS, ELOISE MOYERS (PARSONS), CLEO SWAIN, (SITTING/FRONT, L/R) BEULAH PARSONS (?), BETTY MOYERS (HALFHILL), VIRGINIA JOHNSON

OLD MARRTOWN PAINT STORE, 421 MARRTOWN ROAD

FRIENDS ENJOY FOOD & DRINK AT FRIES PARK IN MARRTOWN CIRCA 1908

1926 MARRTOWN SCHOOL

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  YEAR UNKNOWN

  YEAR UNKNOWN

 

1954 MAYPOLL

THE JULIANA STREET BRIDGE DEMOLITION IN THE 1970S

 

COPYRIGHT 1997-2013 All Rights Reserved
MACKEY'S ANTIQUES & CLOCK REPAIR